Friday, August 7, 2020

The Menge ---(please pay attention to the 'read more' option)

So in order to tell this story, I have to go all the way back to the beginning. Which actually is the very end of March. So, technically not the full summer. But that's okay. 

So for the last week of March, I got a migraine. I mean head pounding, light and sound killed me, migraine. It was one of those ones you kind of wished for death because it hurt so bad. But, I kept on moving on because I had no other choice. I had a job to go to if I wanted to pay my bills. I had friends and family who were counting on me for support. I was plowing through with a headache that wouldn't go away with any pain medications.

I remember when I broke down and FINALLY decided to go to the hospital. It was a Saturday, and I just had enough of it. It wasn't going away, no pain reliever could help it, I couldn't lay down. I was done. So I went that night and explained it all to them. They sent me for a Cat Scan and then gave me a cocktail of medications to try and help the pain. The pain didn't go away, but I was so tired, that I didn't care. I just wanted to go home and sleep. And I did. They next day, I stayed in bed per doctor's orders and then resumed life with the STILL ever growing migraine. By now, Covid was hitting which was just adding to the stress.

The day that started to put everything into motion, I don't think I'll every forget. I was just starting my shift at work and I was standing outside with my manager talking. She looked at me and told me to go to the hospital. Because who knew if it was Covid? It was so new at this point, there was no real list of symptoms or anything yet. So I agreed. 

First, I called my doctor to get an idea of what they wanted. They asked if I had a fever, so I checked and I did. They told me that I needed to go to the hospital. Now, I live in a relatively small area. Our hospital, not that great. But they had the Covid testing and I wasn't going to drive all the way to the good hospital to wait forever to be seen. So I went. 

When they first saw me and I described my symptoms, they asked why I was sent to them. I explained why and they said I needed to go to the ER. So, down the the ER I went. Explained everything all over again. They gave me another Cat Scan, so much blood work I was surprised I had any blood left, and then a second Cat Scan on my lungs. They let me know they found a very small mass, that was more than likely nothing in my brain, and found what could me pneumonia in my lungs. Finally, at about 11pm, they came in and said that they would need to give me a spinal tap. I never had one, I was terrified. 

I will admit, that this doctor who was VERY excited and promised me a 96% success rate, did a very good  job. I didn't feel much. After it was done, I had to lie on my back for four hours and patiently wait for the results. The fact that you have to wait for four hours before you can get up, should have been said beforehand. Because you know that once they tell you, you can't do something, you wanna do it. 

At this  point, I was diagnosed with pneumonia and possible meningitis aka The Menge. 

And this is where I am going to leave off for now, because it's late. I'm tired and this could go on forever... and it will.




No comments:

Post a Comment