Tuesday, August 11, 2020

The First Hospital Stay ---(please pay attention to the 'read more' option)

So to pick up where I had left off... spinal tap, the menge, and then admitted into the hospital. I had never in my life been admitted into the hospital. Understandably, it was going to be a scary experience. On top of all of that, Covid-19 had just hit the United States. So there were no visitors allowed into the hospital. Because of that, the stress kept just adding up. 

Finally on Saturday, I get to talk to a doctor. They suspect I have meningitis. However, I didn't display any of the other symptoms. I didn't have the stiff neck, muscle pains, or anything. Just a very bad migraine that would not go away. They started me on a round of antibiotics and the pain started to subside that same day with pain relievers. Also, my amazing and wonderful husband brought me all the necessities I would need for my hospital stay. At least, it was our best guess, as neither of us had stayed in the hospital before.

I do remember though, that same night, I was trying so hard not to bother the nurses. I didn't want them to keep putting on materials when there was a shortage. But, I finally couldn't help it. My head literally felt like it was going to split in two. When I hit that nurse button, I remember just crying. I was bawling by the time they got to the room. The one nurse said that I was so pathetic to see and she felt so bad for me. Honestly, it was my fault. I shouldn't have waited that long to ask for pain reliever.

Sunday rolled around after another very uncomfortable sleep. (My mother always told me that she slept so comfortably in a hospital bed. I think she lied.) I kept having sensitivity to the light. Now, leading up to this point, I had worn sunglasses until Saturday. But on Sunday, I couldn't even open the curtain. It made me wonder why and how even more, because it wasn't even a sunny day! It was overcast and rainy. At this point, I just wanted to go home. I was better but still miserable. I wanted my husband or my mom or someone! 

I'm not to proud to say that on Sunday, is when I started asking when I could go home. I was done. If I was going to still be feeling like crap, I wanted it to do it from the comfort of my own bed. I also thought that this would start acting like a typical migraine. That with normal rest, relaxation, and a dark room I would feel better. I was just very sure of it. 

Side note: This was also my first time attempting a shower in the hospital. IV and heart monitor and everything. It was a mess. I had to ask a nurse for help. Because leave it to me to not know how to properly shower in a hospital. 

Finally, it's Monday morning. The Infectious Disease Control comes in right after I at least rinse my hair. Making me feel at least a little more presentable. The whole interaction between him and I was brief and right to the point. 

"Do you feel well enough to go home?"

"Yup!"

"Okay, we'll set you up for discharge."

I was out of there by noon. I didn't go home with any other antibiotics. Nothing. I was put under quarantine though, for two weeks. Because of the Covid and my pneumonia that went away on it's own. But, because I was tested I had to quarantine until I got the results. And it being that early on, it was almost two weeks to the day. 

So there we have it. The first hospital visit. The first spinal tap. The first battle with the worst migraine I have ever had in my entire life. And here I thought, it was over and my life could go back to ordinary. And it wasn't even close

No comments:

Post a Comment