Tuesday, August 18, 2020

A Month Later

 Blog #3 End of April-May

For a whole month, I felt fine. I was able to resume my normal activities. I went back to work and just lived my life. All I had was a dull headache from time to time, but it wasn't anything I couldn't handle. My hospital visit was just a distant memory. And that is how I wanted to keep it. 

Until. It was almost a whole month to the day and the headache started coming back. I didn't tell anyone about it yet. I just let it sit there. You may ask why I did this? Well, because, it didn't start out horrendously bad like it was before. So again, my stubborn self kept thinking it would go away. Take some

Advil to dull the pain and I would be good.

Nope. I remember one time, it had gotten so bad that I almost passed out in a Rite Aid. My friend/manager had gone in to see if we could find gloves for work, because of Covid, and I started blacking out. My hearing had gone out and everything was just buzzing. I fumbled a couple of steps and then forced myself to straighten up. I remember thinking 'I'm going to faint.' Immediately after that I thought 'I am not going to hit my head.' My friend was a couple steps ahead of me so she didn't see any of this happening. I was able to straighten myself up and go on like nothing happened. But the pressure in my head made it feel like I had a balloon in there. I did such a good job at hiding this, that my friend never even knew. And if she reads this I'm sorry for not telling you! (Because she will yell at me.)

That weekend, I decided I am going to go to another hospital. Because if it came back, then the subpar hospital must have missed something. So we drove half hour to another hospital. Unfortunately, I got sick on the way there. Bless my dear husband for taking it all in stride. When I got there they did the same thing the other hospital did. Gave me a cocktail that made me pass out but didn't get rid of the pain and sent me home. This time though, they gave me a prescription for pain. 

The next day I woke up, and it felt like I had been run over by a truck. My husband had enough foresight to get that prescription filled the night before at a twenty-four hour pharmacy. But it didn't work. As usual at this point. I sat in my room and tried to find any position I could find where I didn't feel like my head was going to explode and I wasn't going  to die. 

I'm not sure why but I let this go on the whole day. I don't know if I thought maybe the pain killer needed a few doses to work or if I would miraculously get cured or what. But I let myself suffer through for another night. At about six in the morning, I decided I had, had enough. I woke up my husband and said we needed to go. I couldn't take another minute of the pain. I put my sunglasses on and off we went. 

We got to the ER and had the resident came in and asked me all the typical questions. "Does anywhere else hurt? "How long has this been going on?" "Are you vomiting?" "Do you have a fever?"

I answered all their questions honestly. The resident went and got the Doctor. He asked the same questions, felt my neck for any stiffness, and did the general poking around. They ordered some labs and determined I would need my SECOND spinal tap. And that is where I will pick up next time because that spinal tap could take a couple paragraphs by itself. 


See you Thursday! Stay Unique, Rare & Unicorn-Like.

No comments:

Post a Comment