Tuesday, August 25, 2020

Second Hospital Stay

Blog #5 Right After The Second Spinal Tap

Once they had completed the second tap, they sent me up to my room. I was in isolation again, because of possible meningitis. One thing I will say about this hospital, is their rooms. They were so nice! Private, colorful, and spacious. You didn't get a feeling that you were in a hospital. I appreciated that. 

Once I was in my room, a nurse came around and got my information all while making sure I had everything I needed. It was too soon for test results or anything like that, so I still didn't know what to expect from anything. But she got me ready for an IV and got my gown on me.

What was so strange about this whole thing is that the whole time I am dealing with my migraines, I otherwise feel fine. I don't feel dizzy or sick or anything. I just had a massive headache that would come and go and there seemed to be no pain medication that helped it. The only reason I wanted to refresh your memory of this specific detail is that because of this, it made my case a lot more unique. Which is what a lot of medical professionals, including this nurse in front of me, kept commenting on. 

So, this very nice nurse continued her thing. She took the vitals and went over my medications list with me. At one point, I did ask her to give me my sunglasses because I was having a hard time seeing and being able to pay attention. She kind of looked at me funny, but I explained that this was the only way I was able to function. I had to have sunglasses on me at all times just to dull the light. If I didn't, my eyes were, in fact, going to pop out of their sockets. 

After she had left, I called Camrin to please drop off some essential items. And maybe smuggle in some coffee and pop items. Maybe even a snack or two. I had learned from last time that if I really and truly wanted something or was craving something, the best way was to have it with you. When the nurse brought the backpack in, it weighed probably almost 10 pounds. But I really didn't care. 

When the nurse came back a few hours later, she explained that my white blood cells were up and I was going to be treated for meningitis, but because of that Cat-Scan I had a month ago, they were still going to run some tests. They were going to give me an MRI and continue to do blood work on me to see if they could find out anymore information.

I can't lie, I was kind of excited to get the antibiotics because that was the only thing that seemed to help. As evident from the last hospital stay. One or two good strong doses and it should get rid of my headache, and we can move on with our lives. 

I only thought this, only because I was fairly certain they weren't going to find something on the MRI. I had talked to my mom, who is a nurse and she explained that a lot of benign cysts get found all the time and they mean nothing. I figured I would be in the hospital for at least three days again at most.

The next day, a new nurse comes in with my prescriptions and also a needle. I am not a fan of needles but at this point, I was getting used to them. Apparently, I was going to need to be on a blood thinner that got injected into my stomach every morning, for the time being. I should have asked why, because everyone in my family kept asking why. But hindsight is 20/20. And for that particular hospital stay, I really don't think I even found out the reason.

I got to meet the Infectious Control Dr. And he explained to me more about the meningitis. About how I shouldn't be able to turn my head or move it at all. Or that I would typically be nauseous. I should even be feeling sluggish, have a fever, and possibly a rash. He also told me that yes, headaches are also common and they are often described as the worse headache of someone's life. I told him that yeah, I was certainly experiencing that and that I did have a slight fever at home but it went away. He was the second person to comment on how confusing and weird my case was. 




That's all for now!
Stay Unique, Rare & Unicorn-Like 

No comments:

Post a Comment